The Secrets of Natural Bodybuilding

"About Ivan: Ivan Nikolov is a natural bodybuilder from Bulgaria, currently residing in the US. Since his arrival Ivan has been competing for the Musclemania chain of natural shows and has consistently placed in the top five in his weight class, while competing only in worldwide events. Ivan specializes in teaching real people how to change their mental approach toward life, which in his opinion is the foundation that one has to set first in order to achieve a better and healthier body."

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Detect Lower Body Strength Imbalance

I just read a very interesting article in Men’s Health. It made me think of that for a minute. It was about favoring one leg or another while training quads.

I personally do both unilateral (one leg at a time) and simultaneous lifts. I incorporate those in my smith-machine squats and leg presses. And I can tell I still feel slight difference between the strength of my right and left leg.

For example if I start an unilateral exercise with my right leg the left leg usually struggles to complete the number of reps I performed with the right one. But if I start with my left leg I can complete with the exact number of reps with the right leg without feeling difference.

What researchers say is try this exercise and see if you have imbalance in the strength of your legs. So, try this in your workout: Leap forward five times, using only one of your legs. The fifth time land on both feet. Repeat the same with the other leg. If the difference in the total distance is more than 10% then you have a imbalance.

In this case unilateral exercises will help a lot. Just don’t forget if you determine one of your legs is weaker than the other start your exercise with it and follow with the stronger for the same number of reps you were able to complete with the weaker. That’s very important as it will give a chance to the weaker side to catch up with the stronger one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home